Pet insurance can protect your pet and your wallet when the unexpected hits, but choosing a provider can be challenging.
Embrace is a well-known pet insurance company recognized for its wealth of savings opportunities. Our Embrace pet insurance review explores these benefits, plans, costs and customer experience to help you determine whether it’s the right provider for your pet.
What We Like and Don’t Like
Here are a few pros and cons of Embrace pet insurance you should consider:
✅ Offers more customizable coverage than most competitors
✅ Covers up to $650 of routine care costs with its wellness plan
✅ Allows you to waive the orthopedic waiting period with a veterinary exam
❌ Is more expensive than competitors like Lemonade and Spot, on average
❌ Doesn’t offer an unlimited coverage option
Embrace Background and State Availability
Founded in 2003 in Cleveland when it won the Wharton Business Plan Competition, Embrace has established itself as a reputable pet insurance company committed to community service.
In our extensive review of Embrace, we found that the company also stands out for offering robust savings opportunities, including multiple discounts and a decreasing deductible.
Embrace is licensed to sell pet insurance policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Embrace Pet Insurance Coverage
Embrace offers accident-and-illness coverage with an optional wellness rewards plan. Here are some key coverages included in Embrace’s accident-and-illness plans:
- Dental illnesses, such as root canals and gingivitis
- Breed-specific, genetic and congenital conditions, such as allergies and hip dysplasia
- Chronic conditions, such as diabetes or arthritis
- Preventable conditions, such as Lyme disease and parvo
- Orthopedic conditions, such as broken bones and ligament tears
Rehab, less-invasive treatments such as acupuncture and laser therapy, hospitalization, procedures, emergency care, specialist care, diagnostic testing such as X-rays and MRIs, and prescription drugs can be reimbursed.
View a sample policy to see all of Embrace’s coverages.
Embrace’s wellness rewards cover some of the following routine care costs:
- Wellness exam fees
- Preventive dental cleaning
- Cremation or burial
- Prescription diet food
You can choose $250, $450 and $650 of annual benefits.
Exclusions and Limitations
Embrace doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, including any accidents or illnesses that occur before or during the waiting period.
Embrace has a 14-day waiting period for illnesses and a two-day waiting period for accidents. The company’s six-month waiting period for orthopedic conditions can be overridden with an orthopedic exam.
Here are a few services Embrace excludes from its accident-and-illness coverage:
- Cosmetic procedures, such as tail docking or ear cropping
- Breeding, whelping or pregnancy-related expenses
- Deliberate injury
- Spay and neuter procedures
- DNA testing or cloning
- Injury from fighting, racing, neglect or cruelty
- Avian flu or nuclear war
- Routine veterinary care
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
In our review of Embrace, we gathered direct quotes to compare to other providers. While Embrace’s rates aren’t outrageous, they tend to be more expensive than some competitors. However, Embrace’s plans are highly flexible. You can adjust your coverage amounts, deductibles and reimbursements to lower your rates.
Embrace offers the flexible coverage, reimbursement and deductible options below:
- Annual benefits: $5,000, $8,000, $10,000, $15,000 or $30,000
- Reimbursement rates: 70%, 80% or 90%
- Annual deductibles: $200, $300, $500, $750 or $1,000
In addition to these factors, your pet insurance premiums will also vary depending on your location and your pet’s age and breed.
Pet parents can lower monthly premiums with one of Embrace’s discounts. Embrace provides a 10% multiple pet discount when you enroll more than one pet in a plan. It also offers a 5% military discount to active-duty military members and veterans. The provider also offers a 10% discount as a voluntary employee benefit with partnering companies.
Because your pet insurance rates can vary depending on your personal details, we recommend you get a quote from Embrace.
Embrace Pet Insurance Customer Service
Pet owners can use the company’s website or mobile app to upload documents, submit a claim form, update information and manage billing.
You can also email email@example.com or call the customer support center at 800-511-9172 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. EST.
You can submit a claim by logging in to MyEmbrace online or in the app. You’ll be prompted to select your vet’s name, submit your vet bills and list the diagnosis.
The company will update you when your claim is submitted, and you can track its progress with your online account.
Embrace Pet Insurance Customer Reviews
As part of our assessment of Embrace, we examined more than 100 customer reviews across platforms like Google Reviews, Yelp and Trustpilot. We found that most of Embrace’s reviews are favorable, with several calling out Embrace’s customer service and quick claims process. However, some negative claims centered around the company’s denial of preexisting conditions and cost.
Here are a few Embrace pet insurance reviews we analyzed on Trustpilot:
“My pup unfortunately passed recently after an emergency surgery and Embrace could not have been more compassionate, helpful and responsive. They paid my claims timely, answered all questions and offered kind words. Thank you to their team for making the whole process easy during such a difficult time.” — Emily S., 2022
“My cat went to the ER in respiratory distress. They kept him in ICU for the night. The bill was quite expensive. As per my agreement with Embrace, they paid 70% of the bill, no questions asked. This was such a relief. They sent me a check in the mail, and kept me updated on the Embrace app. This was a wonderful experience.” — Marilyn W., 2022
“The monthly premium is affordable compared to other insurances. However, I think they do a great job of trying to find the smallest things to deny a claim. I was told vomiting is a chronic condition for my puppy due to me calling my vet to ask a simple question in which they told me in a 3 month puppy, vomiting bile in the morning was normal and to feed him an extra meal. Now that is considered a chronic condition when my puppy wasn’t treated for anything or diagnosed.” — Jerica, 2022
*Customer reviews are accurate as of March 2022.
Is Embrace Pet Insurance Right for You?
We recommend Embrace for its savings opportunities. If you’re eligible for one of Embrace’s three discounts or its Healthy Pet deductible, you can cut down on the cost of coverage. Its range of deductibles and coverage limits make prices even more customizable.
However, it does not offer unlimited coverage. If you’re looking for a policy with limitless coverage, you should consider an alternative like Spot.
Top Pet Insurance Company Alternatives
Whether Embrace is the right pet insurance provider for you depends on your needs and preferences. To choose the right company for your furry companion, we recommend comparing quotes from multiple top pet insurance providers.
|Superlative||Star Rating||Affiliate Link|
|Lemonade||Best Overall||Get My Quote|
|Spot||Best Plan Variety||Get My Quote|
|Fetch||Best Healthy Pet Credit||Get My Quote|
|Healthy Paws||Most Trustworthy||Get My Quote|
|Embrace||Best Benefits||Get My Quote|
|ASPCA||Best Resources||Get My Quote|
|Prudent||Most Inclusive Coverage||Get My Quote|
|Figo||Shortest Waiting Period for Injuries||Get My Quote|
Embrace Pet Insurance FAQs
How We Rated the Best Pet Insurance Providers
Before choosing a pet insurance provider to protect your cat or dog, you should consider factors such as coverage, customization and customer experience. To save our readers time, we spend hours researching pet insurance companies and rate each company’s overall performance on a variety of metrics.
Here’s a breakdown of each review factor and how much we weight them:
- Policy Coverage (25): We score providers on the total coverage they offer with each policy in addition to their annual coverage limits, treatments, procedures, conditions and the types of coverage plans available.
- Monthly premiums (20): We score companies on their pricing for both dogs and cats, with the most affordable companies receiving the most points in this category.
- Plan Customization (15): We scored companies based on how many options they provide to customers to help them customize their plans and premiums. Companies with more deductibles, reimbursement rates, annual limits and add-on options scored higher than those with fewer options.
- Trustworthiness (15): We rated each company’s trustworthiness based on their ratings from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), years of experience and available money-back guarantees.
- Customer Experience (10): This factor is scored based on the resources provided by each pet insurance company. Providers that offer a mobile app, 24/7 vet helpline, customer chat service, online portal for claims and account management and an easy online quote tool received more points than providers without these resources.
- Waiting Period (10): Each company has a dedicated waiting period for accidents, illnesses and orthopedic conditions that starts when you sign up for your policy. Companies with shorter waiting periods scored higher in this category, since they provide faster service than companies with long waiting periods.
- Eligibility (5): We scored companies on each eligible species they cover, such as dogs, cats and exotic animals and awarded points to companies that didn’t have an age limit on pets.